Friday, November 1, 2013

A stitch every day for November

OK, so I have been absent a bit lately - again.
i have signed up with Leah Piken Kolidas over at creative every day for art every day month.  I thought I needed to challenge myself both to blog and to stitch every day, so that is what I am doing.
Today, I finished the free motion on a quilt I was working on at the start of the month.
Here is a shot of the whole quilt and I don't think there is any cotton fabric in it!  It is all my favourite organzas and satins and lots of other stuff.  Tomorrow is our local monthly quilting day, so I intend to square it up and bind it then.  Oh, the size is approximately A1 or about 85 by 55 cm  or 33x23 in.

here are a few close ups.
I can't say my free motion is ever perfect, but it creates gorgeous texture anyway.
On another note, yesterday I went on my annual hike up the mountain (only a little one) behind my house to look for bush orchids.  I only found two, but at least i did find two.
This one is called a caladenia and is usually very easy to find, but not this year.  It is about an inch, or 2-3 cm across, so very small, it is pinky-white, but sometimes they are pink as well.
This one is even tinier.  The little yellow flowers are less than half a cm or 1/8 inch across.  I am not sure what it is, besides being an orchid and I have never seen it before.
So, after trudging for hours, that was all I found.  I might try again when the ground dries up a bit as it was very green and these orchids don't really like that. They seem to pick the most inhospitable areas to grow.
that's all for today
Hopefully I will be back, tomorrow with another few little stitches.

6 comments:

  1. a challenge to post every day with some new stitching. Your quilt is lovely, could not have been easy using the fabrics you did, so slippy and some of them have a mind of their own.
    How nice is that to have a mountain at the bottom of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is beautiful. I'm really impressed and look forward to seeing the completion of it. I can't sew a straight line, and don't have feed dogs on my sewing machine. But your free motion stitching is superb, at least in my opinion. You picked some wonderful fabric to play with, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, so excited to see your stitching this month. I love what you've done so far, pretty! Learning to sew/quilt has been on my wish list for years.
    What a nice day it is when out with nature. The flowers you found are pretty. We are in fall now so I hunt for the prettiest leaves.
    Have a good day and hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stitched projects.

    I love walking through bushland areas. Nice finds!

    Happy AEDM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo pretty!! Love these colors. They're some of my favorites. And the textures are dreamy, too! Happy orchid hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent challenge for the month - looking forward to seeing what you get up to. This quilt is lovely and the quilting texture is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users