Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Butterfly magic

A few weeks ago  I made a tiny little doily, by using free machine embroidery on water soluble stabiliser, here.
This week I have been working on a larger piece that is a butterfly and I have finally finished it.

This is it in the hoop, before I dissolved the solvy. You can see I just outlined the wings and didn't add any details with marker before I stitched it - you can also see that I changed my mind about the lines as I went along as well (The lilac is my stitching, the brown are my guide lines)
Here it is after I had rinsed away the plastic stabiliser and dried it.  i put my hand in to show how lacy it is and how big it is.
and here's a close up to show the wings more clearly.  You can see my stitching isn't perfect, but if you know me, you know that is not an issue.  I like my work to look hand made.
i am looking forward to putting this on my crazy quilt in the new year!  I may dye it or paint it, depending on where it goes.

Happy creating

10 comments:

  1. Amazing. I have never seen anything like it. How original. Did not even know you can make something like this. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a fascinating process. I didn't even know something like that could be done. I'm wondering if I could do that with hand-embroidery or if it needs more stitching/bulk to maintain its shape like your beautiful butterfly. I took a look at the link to the other design you did as well. Both are such lovely pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wow, wow! How on earth did you do this!? It's amazing, so delicate and intricate. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8One more project I know nothing about. Butterflies show up in most of my work lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Butterflies are showing up in a lot of my work lately. You are doing something I don't know anything about. My first new thing of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing work, Vicki! You have a very sharp eye and both wings are so well matched. Gorgeous butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to use soluable stabilizer. I've never even seen it in stores, but I've seen it used on TV. Your butterfly is superb. You did a great job, even when you (thread) painted outside the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!! I love butterflies I have quite a few in my collection (not real ones you understand). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this technique demonstrated once, but you have really taken it to a much higher level. I can see this on a crazy quilt

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users