I have been working on two pieces which have a river or creek in them.
I got the idea of using recycled plastic bags for this, taking advantage of how the bags break up under heat when there is only one or two layers.
these experiments a while ago, I really liked this texture, especially when you ironed only one layer onto fusible.
Another thing I learnt, is that if plastic is layered over the top of plastic (one by one) as I was doing in the last layers of the first sample, you get more defined holes. In the second sample, I used pre fused films which I peeled off and added layer by layer, so all the plastic had fusible on it.
I was pretty happy with these samples, but there was still a lot of stitch needed to bring it all together. I only used a simple free motion straight stitch, and the stitching could probably be done without free motion since I basically sewed back and forth in straight lines.
I will be using this technique for one of my pieces, but will be trying out some painted fusible before deciding on the other piece.