Sunday, December 22, 2013

Collages 13 to 15

I am really having a ball making these collages.  I don't have any rules and just put together what makes me happy.  In the new year, I will start doing some embellishing, but really I can see a great reference building up and of course I am using up fabric.

This first one is very simple and uses shirting fabric.  This one is really just about the colours.  The fabric was very thin and I can see the shadows where it overlaps.  Instead of worrying about this, I am thinking that the stitching might make a feature of these areas.  Remember there is no such thing as a mistake, just a new way of thinking.
This one has a wide variety of fabrics, from chiffon, to metallic textured, satin, tulle, organza and even some heat distressed chiffon.  In the centre of the piece on the tulle, is a fragment of the fabric that inspired the arrangement of the fabrics.  In this one I am embracing the frayed edges and untidiness.
This one was inspired by the colour scheme of the floral fabric at the top centre.  It uses velvet, textured metallic and satin, satin, silk, painted chiffon, baby wipe.

As you can see there is on theme to my collages.  I am exploring art elements in a very broad sense line, shape, space, texture, value and color and always learning about what I like and what i don't.

Happy creating!


5 comments:

  1. love green with the pink, re seeing the seams our teacher used to say if there is something you do not like or have made an error with use it and make a feature of it, can`t say I always follow her advice but I bear it in mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the middle one. It looks like something I might enjoy making. You are doing a fantastic job with these collages. I wish I had the time to make a collage every day. You are SUCH an inspiration to me. I love what you make.

    Even the color theory collage is charming with the way the pieces overlap. Like you, I can see where that overlap would be the perfect place for adding embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loads of possibilities. I am sure great pieces will emerge as you build upon them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the brownish wavy fabric near the bottom of the last piece. At first I thought is was corduroy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using up fabric - having fun - what a good thing to do! When the hands are busy the brain gets a chance to think in different ways...

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users