Sunday, December 8, 2013

In the beginning

Today I am starting a new sketchbook.  I have finished my last sketchbook on leaves, (if you know me, you know I love leaves) and so am starting a new one.
I though perhaps to begin at the beginning, with a simple leaf to investigate, so I just grabbed some ivy from outside the door.

CCI08122013_00000
I had a large leaf and a little sprig.  I originally sketched both of them, but went back into the large leaf.
I started by drawing around the veins, which were paler than the leaf.  This was quite difficult,  so on one side I went back in with a black marker and filled it all in then redrew all the veins with a white out pen.

I was quite pleased with the large leaf and thought how the veins reminded me of the structure of beams in a cathedral.  I wonder if it was things like this that inspired the builders centuries ago?

Happy creating!