Tuesday, January 10, 2012
a bit of a daisy and some transfer experiments
I have been fiddling a bit with transparency transfers since reading about using hand sanitiser gel in pam carriker's book. I works really well.
This gor me thinking, so I looked at the ingredients list on my sanitiser bottle. There was alcohol, glycerin and eucalyptus. I happened to have all these things, so I did some experiments.
I worked, but was a bit blurry.
So, I think that although the alcohol does transfer, it doesn't fix the ink and bleeds a little. The eucalyptus seems to do a good job, and has the advantage that it will evaporate away. I think Perhaps the gel or glycerin helps to stop the bleeding because it makes the transfer medium thicker and less able to bleed. any way, I have had some good results and will continue experimenting.
Oh, I nearly forgot, it also works well on paper.
Also, I had a little mistake and printed on the wrong side of the transparency. I found that the ink did not dry on the acetate, so I had a go at transferring it.
This second set of experiments needs a little more refining. My reason for exploring it is that transparencies are expensive and can only be used once. I happen to have a lot of simple acetate sheets which I picked up at a junk store, still in their packets (the type we used to use with white board pens, when they were called overhead pens - a long time ago, lol) The second two prints above used these sheets and after transfer, I simply wiped them clean and used them again-wow!
Anyhow, I have been having a bit of fun, playing with this technique!
don't forget to play with your art materials!