Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Perhaps not an utter failure

Thanks Gina, Renate and Caroline. 

Just to show you that I
  1. do eventually get around to things
  2. have projects that are failures
I have a little project to show you.
Way back in June, I designed this piece.

It has been sitting around, patiently waiting for me to play with it.
So got out my pattern and decided to make a little version, since the big one was not happening.  I traced the pattern onto acetate, so I could arrange things on my lutradur backing.
I added some water (A cotton fabric)
Rocks and more water in the foreground (more cotton).
Some more rocks and some more water (more cotton).
I tacked all these cotton fabrics down with a little free motion.
So far so good........
I added some cellofoil and sewed that down too.
I decided the rocks needed a few highlights and darks
 So I added some organza and satin.
Then a little more for the sea, with some ripped up nappy liners
And then more nappy liners
 I overdid the nappy liners because I know how they shrink to almost nothing...........
When you blast them with a heat gun!  So now you see why I used cotton on the underneath layers.
OOps! - too much nappy liner just turns into blobs.
I can see that getting the effect I got here

Requires a bit more experimentation. 
When I added little bits of nappy liner (and lots of cellofoil) I got a bubbly fluffy texture (above), but this time I used lots of nappy liner and not as much cellofoil.
In addition, this time I did not distress the cellofoil and nappy liner layers separately.
I could probably do some hand stitching to perhaps make something of this little piece,  however at this point, I will just set it aside and think on it again.

Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side of the hill.
But remember, all you have to do is get up and walk there!  It might take some time, but you'll get there.