Friday, November 18, 2011

Cellofoil and water

Today's blog is about Fabric manipulation,  in particular heat distressing plastic.
I seem to have lots of this.
It is the plasticky foil wrapper from a rice cake packet.  I decided to see what would happen if I zapped it with my heat gun and was pleasantly surprised.
It becomes molten and soft and forms ridges and pools.  I thought it looked a bit like the crests of waves.
In the picture above, I have free machined the flat areas to a piece of Lutradur.
Here is a close up of one of the ridges and the round, flat puddles.

I cut up some watery looking fabric to put in the "puddles"
Here i have placed one of these between some ridges.
I did a little bit of free motion over these watery bits.
Then placed some more watery bits down.

I ripped up some nappy liners and started adding them next to the silver ridges.
I added a bit of the nappy liner strips.
Then I added a whole lot more.  I melted the nappy liner with the heat gun, and..
..it turned into froth, just what  I wanted.  This sample needs a bit more free machining and perhaps even some more nappy liner, since it disappears almost to nothing except a few bubbles, but I am very pleased with this experiment and will be tweaking it a bit more, I think.
 

A thunderstorm is approaching very quickly, so I will post this now, before the power goes out.
Happy creating.





3 comments:

  1. Great experiment, I like your results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I sure wouldn't have thought of using "nappy" liners or the cellofoil but the results are outstanding. How do you think of these things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing excellent content. Keep up the good work.

    lutradur heat distressing

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users