I was getting some bits together for a recycled mixed media collage...
Now if that list seemed like a long one, it is and putting the selection together took me almost all afternoon! So, obviously, I haven't started on the piece yet. It will be something for next week.
While you are waiting however, I have decided to have a give away.
I already have my piece mapped out and it has a theme, but I will put every comment on this post (only) with a suggestion of what I might be going to do or a theme I might follow into the draw with a number and next Monday I will draw a winner from random.org.
The prize will be six floral fat quarters.
Now on to the real blog for today, which is showing you my last Tangled Textiles challenge, which happened whilst I was offline last month.
I did something really different this time and because it was a bit mixed media, I'm showing it to you today.
In no particular order, here are the little quilts and what I did with them.
All of the little quilts were backed with felt.
This one had a background fabric of textured brocade in brown and gold. The background was overlaid with red sinnamay , which is a very stiff netting used in hats, woven from abaca.
I have then beaded randomly with gold seed beads around the two motifs.
The motifs are mad up of a square of red lutradur (or rainbow spun from pellon). Over this I have laid two flowers cut with a soldering iron from gold shot organza and the red lutradur, then I added the gold buttons, which came from a uniform of some sort. The panel was bound with red satin ribbon and a running stitch in a thick gold thread.
stacked buttons, an antique mother of pearl and a pearly red with a large gold seed beed, or
a small gold seed bead and red sequin.
I have also added groups of three gold bugle beads down the centre triangles.
This panel is not bound, but has a red chain stitch with gold french knots down each side.
This one was not bound, but has a fly stitch in red around the edge with gold seed beads.
This panel was my favourite. It had almost no sewing in it! The base is a red fabric paper made from foils. This was attached with large square brads.
Then a square of head distressed red chiffon and a square of gold shot cotton which had been frayed were attached with smaller square brads.
The red flower applique was an iron on one I had had in my sewing box for many years, then I added a gold filligree button I got from my Mother.
Again, this one had a turned edge and was edged with red bugle beads interspersed with cross stitch in a very thick gold thread.
This panel was bound with a red organza ribbon attached with fly stitch in red thread.
I beaded in a diagonal grid with red seed beads in the spaces between the motifs.
The motif is layered from a large red, then gold lutradur flower, then a small red lutradur flower and a very old red button I had as a child. I added some gold seed beads in the apexes of the petals of the button.
The motifs were stacked of a large antique button, not plastic, but probably bakelite, which makes it quite old, a red transparent button and a square bronze pearly button. Again I attached these using the wrapping technique, which created two wings of spokes in red metallic thread because of the two button holes.
Over this I put a piece of distressed ciffon in a red and gold textured colour. The gold lines are metallic perl wire coils which were couched on. The buttons were simply some gold thimble shapes that I couldn't resist.
I couched on some red satin cord on a wavy pattern and emphasised it with long red stitches.
Wow, it almost took me as long to explain this quilt as it did to make it!
The whole quilt, with some painted lutradur as the top under the panels, was quilted with running stitch before the panels were added and bound with textured red organza ribbon decorated with red bugle beads and see beads.
Oh, and I forgot. It was all done by hand.
Anyway, I hope you liked the piece and don't forget to comment about what I might do with my trash.
Spend more time being creative, turn off the computer
(after you've read this of course)