As some of you know, I work on many projects at once and they all get finished, but I usually only do a little on each thing every week or so, so be patient.
Sunday is for surface design and last night I did a little dyeing, spurred on by the latest design matters videos. Laura did some gorgeous dyeing and Linda used the fabric to make a small iris applique.
Serendipitously, the day before I watched the videos, I was tidying up and found a large pastel painting of an iris that I had been thinking about making into an art quilt.
The first piece of fabric I dyed was some cotton, about 2 metres.
I used exactly the same method as I used here. The only difference was that I scrunched it up extremely tight into a micowave safe pot. I usually use glass, because I find plastic melts and wrecks the process and it allows me to check that the bottom fabric is dyed well (underneath). I then poured the dyes on and made sure they went into the fabric folds by gently massaging.
Because I poured the dye onto the fabric, I could mix the dyes. I just used a simple, yellow-red-blue sequence like Laura Kemshall did.
As usual, I made too much red dye, so I also dyed up a batch of cheesecloth/scrim
I also grabbed a pile of cotton scraps and did some greens to use in the landscape I showed the beginnings of a few days ago. I have nearly finished the background and you will see that soon.
Even hubby took an interest, using some of my left over dye to experiment with dyeing bits of wood.
So, now I am back on line, as you see I have a ton of work! But perhaps we'll just call it play, not work.
Creativity involves purposeful play.