however, the other day, I had been laminating some napkins into my art book and had all the bits of tissue I peeled off from the top layer of the napkins which was going to waste.
I thought, what if I tried casting with molds using the tissue and some PVA or medium? And so I had a go.
When I felt there were enough layers, I set the molds aside to dry.
I had many successes and many failures.
Here are the things I learnt
- always wait until completely dry otherwise they might come off incomplete as some may stick to the mold.
- flex the mold before removing the cast, to allow the cast to come away from the mold properly.
- although talcum powder will work with polymer clay casting to stop sticking, it doesn't work here, because the PVA is water based and the effect of the talc is lost
- I did not solve the sticking problem in this session. I have read about using vaseline in the molds, but am loathe to try it, because it may alter the paintability of the casts.
- My husband has suggested soapy water allowed to dry, but it might leave bubbly bits. Perhaps brushing on some dish liquid an allowing to dry might work
All in all a very productive day - even with the failures.
- It's always helpful to learn from your mistakes because then your mistakes seem worthwhile.
- Garry Marshall,