Saturday, February 15, 2014

A brief update

I have a few bits and pieces to show, none of which are finished, but I though you might like to see what I have been up to.
first is my sunflower piece, which is decidedly NOT moving at present, except perhaps in my head.
I have all the little bits pinned up on a piece of felt, but at present I don't know what to do with them.  I think it might have to be a small series, because I have too much for one piece!

The little daisy collage I started work on has been coming along slowly.  this is where it is at.
It is coming along, but slowly.
I have also started adding to another of my collage a day foundations.
This one was very simple and the strip of felt was just crying out for a vine.  I have free motioned a bark design onto the silver fabric to the left.  The green leaves on the fight, are pieces of plastic cut into leaf shapes, painted with green nail polish and stitched on with fly stitches to reference the leaf veins.  I am at present doing some seed stitch into the black textured area in the centre with a green thread that matches the leaves.

The next thing to show you is just a practice piece.
 This is a sea theme fabric with pictures in squares which is layered up and has had the squares quilted, ditch, style.  The reason I am showing it is because this is what I get up to when I can't think of what to do.  I just stitch a square and usually, that gets me going.  Picasso once said "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" This is my "working" quilt, because even though it might seem like I am always on the ball, I have times when my muse is absent.  This mindless stitching sometimes gets me moving.
Next, is another thing I do when I am stuck.  you are probably getting the idea, I have been a bit stuck this week! lol
I have a pile of monoprints, like this one, on chiffon, which I just play with the stitching on.  I usually just use a layer of felt underneath.
You can see in this detail, i am just thread sketching over the colours in the background.
And of course, I have added to this pile of monoprints today, with a handful of prints on voile (Like chiffon, but a bit stiffer)
These will be cut up and ripped to use in collages. You can perhaps see a tiny bit of checked fabric in the background at top left.  This is a large panel which I have layered up for quilting, which will be a baby quilt for my niece.  Shock, Horror.  Me.  Actually making a quilt! i will show you it in a few weeks when it is finished.

So that is some of what I have been up to this week

Happy creating!