Sunday, May 4, 2014

Using my new toy

I have been playing and learning and making samples with my new embroidery machine, but I thought it was time to make something!
Last night I put together the first steps of a bag for the workshop I am teaching in a few weeks.
I have quite a number of satin samples that are 4.5 x 12 inches.  You can see them in the layout above.
I embroidered a celtic knot on one of them and  basically used the size of the pieces as the bag pattern.  The picture above is before I sewed them on to a piece of interfacing cut to the size above.
This picture is bit closer to the real colours.  I have sewed the strips onto the stabiliser and peeping out from the bottom, you can see the lining cut to the same size.
This is as far as I got, since I was thinking about the handles.
This morning, I embroidered another and made a quick little ipod or phone case.
My favourite colours again!  I did not line this one with interfacing, so it is very soft.
This photo shows the construction (including a little boo boo!)  All i did was to sew the lining and cover right sides together, leaving a few inches unsewed, then turned it inside out.  I folded it to fit my ipod and hand sewed the sides up, and added press studs and a little embellishment to cover the press stud.

I am thinking of lots of new ideas to use this new tool, but my fingers are itching to do some free motion, so hopefully I will get some done in the next few days.

Happy Creating!