All about a creative life. I am a creator of stuff, be it textile, or mixed media. Creativity is my passion, my spirituality, my life
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
A new art quilt is growing.
It is at the stage where i have a lot of free motion to do, so I thought I'd show you what I have done so far.
This quilt is based on a page in my leaf sketchbook.
These are three gelatin monoprints that I have collaged together. One is a negative and two are positive. I used a bit of artistic licence and moved them around a bit.
My background was the textured satin I sprayed the other day.
I layered it up with felt and added some black satin in the centre and black organza on the sides to create three sections. I traced around the paper stencil I made for it and stitched around it three times.
Then I rough cut out around the organza stitching and inside the satin stitching.
the next step was to run along the stitching lines with some fabric glue.
With a small piece, I have found that this is not really necessary, but with a large piece like this (40inx30in), I have found hat sometimes the slippery satin and organza can come out of the stitching when I trim right back. I have been thinking about testing out fusible thread to see if it works any better. It would certainly be quicker!
And here is the whole piece ready for a lot of free motion work!