Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Digital drawing

I have been doing a lot of reading and watching art history lately as preparation for the next tangled textiles challenge.  One thing which has bothered me is where art is going.  What is the "New" art of this 21st century? Post modernism seems to be a mish mash of everything as artists find their ways again after the upheavals of the last two centuries.
One new thing is digital art.  There are many new artists who use technology to make their art. and I have resisted this because I felt that it took the hand of the artist away and made everything too perfect, but I have found a few people on the net, who use digital art which I like.
One is Myriam Kozik, who uses patterns to create designs, and more recently, Terry Grant of twelve by twelve fame, who has just started using digital sketching.
So I had a go.  This will be my post for T for tuesday and I will also post it as a comment on Terry's Blog, to participate in her exploration as well.
I am only using a very basic fee sketch program on my android, but later in the week I will be getting a graphics tablet,which I am looking forward to.
Here is my first sketch
A bit too much white space, it really needs cropping and is as simple as you can get.
And here is my second sketch.  I had fun with this one and played with the different brushes.  I can see the potential of this type of drawing and can see the benefits, like not having to worry about wasting paper, which I think can set you free.

Hope you liked my little adventure!

Happy creating!

13 comments:

  1. Gosh, I was just here a few minutes ago. I was probably posting my previous post when you were at my place.

    Gotta LOVE this. I've resisted using digital art because, although it's beautiful, I only see a need for it on the internet, and not on a page I would print out. I have an old, old version of PhotoShop (not Elements) I had to buy when I was consulting with a publisher. I only use it now to store my photos and size them. Not a very effective way of learning the program, either.

    You have proven that this can be a very effective tool to use and to have in your arsenal. I look forward to many more of these entries. Thanks for sharing your digi-T(ea) today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love seeing hat you are doing it is all so creative, all way above my head but so interesting to see and admire. I used to have pint shop pro on my old windows 98 but it would not work on windows 7 and did do a little with that but now have student version or corel draw and cannot do anything with it!! With th old programme I used to scan in things and then play with them, have a wonderful rhubarb leaf I created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! this is really great! What is a graphics tablet? I haven't heard of them, but I'm not real tech savvy either.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I like the colors you chose for the second picture. I'm not a digital artist but can appreciate the work of others.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sketch and I admire people who can create them, but for me I like the touchey feeliness of paper and ink and embellishments. I know alot of folks do digital scrapbooking, but it isn't touchey feeley enough for me. I am the same with books too. I have an ereader but prefer books. Thank goodness we all like different things.
    Now about the model trains. When can I come and play?
    Tee Hee! Happy Tuesday.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. this concept is fascinating-great mug! I really know nothing about this but do enjoy seeing what people are able to do with such a program.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you--sometimes it seems that there is nothing new under the sun, and yet digital art seems to be the new frontier of the 21st century. There is so much that one can do with it, and it can also be combined with other art forms. Your sketches are cool, and I actually like the white space on the first one. Have fun with your new tablet when you get it, and have a Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did very well with the cups. I haven't had good luck drawing digitally yet. I'd like to try it with a stylus sometime. I think that would give me more the feel of drawing than sliding around a mouse.
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great results you got...
    it's all a mystery to me but I do enjoy seeing what people create

    Happy T Day to you
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never tried Digital Art so I am always in awe when I see it. I imagine it is fun to be able to add and change colors easily. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for mentioning me in your post ... so sweet of you. I like the simplicity of the first one because it feels spontaneous. So which tablet are you getting? New toy ... so exciting! But be warned ... both using the Android and the tablet for sketching/drawing can be highly addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would really have no idea how to do digital drawings...but it's a new medium, so excellent that you gave it a try. Fun tea cups and I suspect lots of ways you could adapt/use it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your second sketch! A new tablet... sounds like hours of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users