Monday, February 13, 2012

A favourite fabric and doodling

Today's atc is made from a scrap of fabric I have hoarded because I only had a tiny bit and I loved it.
Because I love it, I didn't cover it up with anything, just free machined around a heart shape in gold thread.  I loved how the heart puffed up.  Edged with glue and gold leaf.

You might remember this piece, which I was working on here.   I was based on a page in one of my artbooks.
 Well, I have finally finished the doodling!
I tried to used a different pattern in every section, and there is a lot of thread build up in areas, but since it was just playing, I'm not fussed, in fact I'm quite happy with it.  I still have to stitch the sky, but it will just be wery subtle so as not to detract from the bird.
This idea could work with just about any shape that can be broken up into sections, even a rectangle, as I often fill a whole page in the space of a half a dozen phone calls, lol and this is basically doodling except it is a little hard to fill in solid areas when free machining.  Of course it can be done, but it is not really something I would call playing, it's more of a chore.

So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering. 
Brenda Ueland
 
And don't forget to check out the twelve by twelve groups's reveal of metamorphosis!
(it was yesterday, but the quilts are absolutely stunning)