Saturday, February 4, 2012

A bit of ribbon and some tissue.

 Today I went to a meeting of ATASDA Vic (Australian textile art and surface design association),  so hi to any of you surfing the web.  We had a great day and had a silk paper demo from Elma who creates lichen inspired sculptures using crochet.  Fascinating
Today's ATC is decidedly floral
I used a piece of the collage background I made here.  The flower is some rolled organza and satin petals and the text is printed on a transparency.  bound with organza ribbon. 

I followed a link from Lisa's blog to that of an extraordinary artist, Marilyn rock.  I was inspired to create some stamped tissue papers like she showed in her video, but I decided instead to print on the tissue with my computer.
 As you can see, they printed quite well.  I actually used greaseproof or kitchen paper instead of tissue, but I'm sure if you ironed the tissue out flat it would work.  I just tend to use kitchen paper for layering tissue as it's cheap and works well.  The images I used were from  the graphics fairy.

I used a gluestick to glue the paper to the top of a piece of printer paper.  (I put an oversized piece of tisse paper on and trimmed it down after I glued it)
I found it ran through the printer quite easily.
And as you can see the print is excellent.  I can't wait to use these in collage.  I did find, however that the images bled if I used matte medium, but if I used neat white glue, this was minimised, But I will show more about this in a later post.

Thanks for the lovely comments yesterday.  As always, it is the supposed mistakes that people like the best, lol, but I appreciate them all the same.

Now, I need to get into my sketchbook because I have an idea for my balance challenge!


Have fun creating - and do it all the time!

2 comments:

  1. Nice prints. Another technique I have used is ironing fusible web that has a paper backing to the tissue paper. Send this through the printer. Peel the tissue paper off. Then iron the print to fabric or paper without worrying about the printer ink getting messed up, as long as a dry iron is used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that flower is wonderful! I am eager to see what you come up with for balance... i am stumped!

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users