Thursday, March 20, 2014

Transparent landscape

some of you know i am doing two art courses at present, and sometimes thing gell together to create an idea.  I had been looking at a lot of landscapes for one course and the other night I was reading Ruth Isset's new book 'A Passion for Colour' I was very interested in her leaf collages, since that is something I love, but  she was discussing using transparent fabrics ans I thought, perhaps this would transfer to a landscape!  I needed to do some sketches and coloured paper collages for Elizabeth Barton's course, so...
these were the sketches i came up with.
I repeated this as a watercolour sketch, which even though it is transparent, did not give the effect that I wanted.
I repeated it again with coloured and painted tissue and this gave me lots of overlapping colours which is what I wanted.
This morning I rummage through all my sheers and put together a fabric sample.
And this is what I came up with.  At present, I am tacking all the pieces down with silk thread, then I will be adding lots more stitch, to merge the colours into each other.  I will probably be adding more sheers, especially in the mid ground and doing a fair bit of free motion and some needlefelting, but I am happy where this one is going.  In real life, the overlapping sheers are really vibrant and much greener than they appear here.  Every time I look at it I just get itchy fingers and want to do more stitching!
But of course it is time to cook, or we will starve to death lol!

Happy creating!

3 comments:

  1. I was truly impressed with the tissue landscape that reminded me of a paper pieced abstract. They were my favorite, and I look forward to seeing how you translate that into an art quilt. Guess I need to buy some sheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry Vicki that was me leaving a message to test my new googleplus account...but I left it as my daughter's blog! anyway at least i can now leave comments!
    just wanted to say love the colours, and the transparency of your work, very delicate. Ruth Isset's book is on my 'wanted list!

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users