Wednesday, March 28, 2012
tree and leaf
Since I was playing with the hand felting tool, I decided to make a leaf, but instead of batting or felt or anything solid, I felted it onto tulle.
When I turned it over...
It had this really cool fur-like texture on the back where the fibers had been pushed through. It reminds me of a possum's fur and is really soft. Now I know this will come in handy.... when inspiration strikes.
something else I did a few days ago was to recover my journal.
Usually, I start with White glue and acrylic paint mixed together to both seal and cover the surface at the same time. This time, I started with white paint and glue, but remembered an experiment I did a few weeks ago.
From top left, clockwise they are - seed beads, herbal tea mixture, sawdust and glitter.
I wasn't reall impressed with the beads, but perhaps even tinier ones might work? The Tea mix was interesting and I liked the green tinge in the glue. The sawdust was really great, and of course having a woodturner for a spouse means we have tons of that, lol. The glitter was very transparent, but made a beautiful suface, so might be useful over something else.
So, back to the experiment at hand - I had painted my page with a white acrylic/PVA mixture, but decided it was a bit boring for a cover and just grabbed the leftovers from the above experiment at random. They were unlabeled and in opaque tubs.
It turned out to be the herb tea mix, and I dabbed it all over the wet white paint/glue. I liked it, but wondered whether the texture would be durable enough for a book cover.
In a moment of inspiration, I grabbed some tissue paper and covered over the pain, glue and tea.
The tissue folded in places and became almost translucent and it made a beautiful cover for the book.
A bit to get through today!