Friday, January 9, 2015

Being Productive

The last few days have been quite productive.I have been working on my crazy quilt, which got a little behind in the winter when I was ill.
I have been working on this block (left) this week
And as you can see, it is nearly finished!
I also coloured some pieces of lace for crazy quilting.  White gets a bit boring after a while.
I finished my 12" block for the ravelry  2015crochet-along.  I have also done a 6" one.
On the journaling front, as well as my daily journal, I did these pages.
I drew all over the pages with inktense blocks and the little book, was drawn on every page.
I sprayed the pages with water, saturating them and ran a brush over them.  At present, they are spending a few pages drying.  I saw this recently on design matters TV with Laura Kemshall.  I have not done it the same as Laura did, but the video reminded me of this method I saw on you tube a few years ago using ink.
This is a little thread sketch I did this afternoon.  It is obvious I am a little out of practice as my wren is a little fat!  A bit more practice will get me back into the routine.

This is a small thread painted/mixed media collage I put together with a few scraps of fabric, some papers and a card die cut.  I like this one and as I was stitching, the name 'Into the darkness" came to me.

I had been thinking about a textile project for this year and had been thinking of doing the thread sketches (like the bird), but In April, I will be doing a class with Ro Bruhn at AQC.  She makes beautiful fabric books.  I also saw Leslie Tucker Jennison on Quilting Arts TV 1503 making similar collages and  Liz Kettle also talked about thread sketching practice in qatv 1505.  So this is a cross between all of the above, with a little bit of Cas Holmes thrown in so  I think this will be my project for this year. A mixed media collage with fabric, paper and stitch, including thread sketches.

Often with these yearly projects I have planned to do it every day...and I always failed, simply because life happens, so this year my intent is to do at least 1 each week,with the intention of doing at least three.
One might think that, since I have failed at these yearly projects in the past, that I might give up, but although I have never been perfect (ie each and every day), I have learnt a great deal from these projects.  I have a vast library of journal quilts, atcs and stitched squares

Whilst I was looking for all the links above, I found The Slow Stitching movement  which has podcasts and a blog  This looks like great reading and listening.  Go have a look!


Happy Creating!

2 comments:

  1. That quilt block is simply amazing. I am certainly impressed. You make it look fun, but it would not be fun for me, since I tear everything.

    I like everything from lace to ribbon to be white when I buy it. That way, I can color it myself to match whatever else I've dyed. You were quite smart doing that.

    It's winter here, so that fat bird would be quite happy and warm. they need to have a bit of "meat" on them when winter hits (grin).

    I was in a swap with Liz Kettle, and I have some of her fabric art. She is quite good at whatever she makes. She taught me a lot about needles (sewing machine), although I never applied the knowledge like I should have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I admire your ability to focus on being productive. I'm still putting away Christmas decorations. Oh to BEGIN....you know what I mean don't you?

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users