Saturday, July 20, 2013

On the mend

I have finally finished my sketchbook cover.
I am quite happy with the way it turned out.  I trimmed it to size and glued the edges so the stitching was secure, then thought about how to attach it to the sketchbook.
I could have glued it down, since it is made specifically for this book, but I decided it was best not to do this in case the book needs rebinding at some time.
I decided to add some sticky velcro to the front and back, which would grab the felt backing.  This worked really well and held the cover on very firmly.
I have not decided yet whether anything will go on the cover under the cutout, or if I will paint the cover.
Above are a few close ups of the stitching.

I have been thinking a lot about blogging and have come to the conclusion that it keeps me on track.  It has been a month since my last post and I have hardly done any textile work.  Whilst a break can be a good thing, I am finding it very hard to get back into the swing of things.  In the past I have always had a little project to keep me going, like ATCs and journal quilts and so I have decided what it is that I need to do every day at present and decided that it is quilting and free motion embroidery..
I have quite a few little sketchpads, filled with free motion doodles and a couple of months ago I came across one where I had doodled hundreds of little feather shapes with different fillings.  I set up a pile of felt and fabric sandwiches to make samples with.  And it sat on my table for quite a while.
So now I have set myself the task of doing one of these feathers a day.  It only takes five minutes and makes me go into the studio and sew.  Of course I can't always blog every day, but my task is to makes sure I do one of these every day and blog at least three times a week.
So here is my first one.  It is a sort of dandelion inside the feather.  I must admit, this one took actually less than a minute!

and here is a bit closer to see the stitches.

So, let's see if I can stick to my project and create every day again.

4 comments:

  1. love your sketchbook cover, best of luck keeping to your plan of a feather a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sketchbook cover is great - ingenious way to attach it! I like you idea of doing a little FM stitching everyday - it will get you in your sewing space and who knows what else might happen? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you blogging again! Your sketchbook cover looks terrific...great way to attach it to the sketchbook. I really must do more creative work too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great sketchbook cover! I'd be picking it up all the time so would probably get me using the sketchbook more often!

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users