Sunday, June 23, 2013

of books and broken ankles

There are two reasons I have not blogged for a while.  The first is that I am spending far too much time on my creative sketchbooks course and the second is that I currently have a broken ankle. Until late last week, it was impossible to do any sewing and quite easy to sit and draw for my course.
My ankle is now in an huge boot, which will keep it stable until I have surgery to re attach some ligaments.  It's like an enormous cast, but it can come off.
Enough of that.  Today I decided my sketchbook needed a cover so I started needlefelting a wrap around cover for it.
I warn you my pictures are awful as I am getting used to the new camera after my old one died a few blogs ago.
First, I wrapped some black felt around my book and marked the edges with chalk.  The felt will shrink quite a bit and that is why I have cut it extra large.
I missed a few steps before this photo, but I laid out some white organza for my background and some rovings in browns to look like wood for my table top.  In this photo, I have needlefelted the organza down. and added a few extra bits.  I love the texture of needlefelted organza.
I thought the background could do with a bit more colour, so I put a few scraps of other coloured organza and chiffon down.
And felted them into the background.
Here's a closeup of the texture after needlefelting.
And here it is after I have needlefelted all the rovings in place.
I started free motion stitching at the bottom right with a gold thread, but I wasn't happy with it.  It didn't show well and I felt the colour of the rovings was just too raw, so I unpicked it all.
Then I added some black bridal tulle over the top and started stitching again.
And here's where I got to with my stitching, on the bottom left.
and a close up of the stitching.  I am quite happy with how it is going and will work on it again tomorrow, but I still have a ways to go before I get to the design I have in my head.

Make time for art!

7 comments:

  1. Ouch! a broken ankle is definitely no fun! Your journal covering is looking wonderful, though. I hope everything goes well with your surgery, and that healing is speeding. Sending you a cyberhug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry aboutyour ankle- it seems like your plate has been more than full with lousy luck this year. Rest well, here's another cyber hug to get feeling better and a successful surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And despite it all, your journal cover looks to be coming along wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, ooh, torn ligaments sounds painful. The TT's will keep you in our thoughts for swift healing and a speedy recovery.

    Your journal cover project sounds like a good diversion and I like the direction it is headed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear, Vicki!!! a boot and surgery. Yikes Hope you have a speedy recovery!
    Love the yummy texture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all the best with the surgery on your ankle, my granddaughter shattered hers 11 months ago and has had 2 ops and maybe will have to have a 3rd to remove the plate as it is causing problems, she had to keep her leg up for 6 weeks, tough when you are 14 ans is not allowed to do contact sports at all.
    The journal cover is looking great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite your run of bad luck with health (your Hubby;' and your's) you are still managing to create vibrant pieces of art! Love how the cover is coming along.

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users