Monday, August 15, 2011

Tyvek and Lutradur - More samples

A few more experiments with tyvek.
This is tyvek ironed over a layer of plastic.  The tyvek almost dissolves away, but the plastic stops it from scrunching up.
This is painted tyvek ironed onto fusible.  This also stops the crinkling/balling up and allows the tyvek to form an open texture.
This is painted tyvek ironed, but on a very low heat.  This allows just a slight crinkling.  This reminds me of ripples in water.
This tyvek was stitched around the edges to a painted piece of very stiff stabiliser.  This also allowed holes to form rather than bubbles.  In different colours, I can see rocks in this.
This last one is my favourite and I know I will use it again.  Tyvek was sewn onto the back of a piece of painted cotton.  The sewing was an all over pattern I did free motion.  The pice was turned over and the tyvek heated. It created a really crinkly texture, like with some of the new heat sensitive, shrinking products I have seen.  It would be worth looking at different stitching patterns and how they change the way the fabric bubbles.  This one has a million possibilities.

Don't forget to play and experiment, The art playground is one where you will find your creative impulse.

4 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for showing this. i always wondered how the reaction to heat really would look like. Very informative, thanks so much for sharing.
    Andrea.
    P.s the piece in the last pic be my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not tried working with tyvek; fun to see its possibilities. I like your last sample as a favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the last piece too, but for some reason it is not showing up in Firefox, I had to use an IE page within Firefox to see it. So anyone having problems, right click and select "View page in IE tab", its well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Wholesale priced wristbands of all types and colors. Plastic, Vinyl, Tyvek, Paper, Rubber, Red Ribbon and many more.
    Customization is available on all tyvek wristbands and some plastic wristbands. Patterns include patriotic, holidays,
    Halloween, school safety, party and many more."Tyvek
    wristbands

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users