Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Creating silk paper and other fibre films Method 2 - Glue method Part 4

In this blog, I am continuing to look at bonding fibres with glue or medium.

These samples were made using scrap fibres from sewing.

 This first sample I made using just scrap threads.  

Here, I have layered them with tulle.

Next, painting medium on.  I used straight, undiluted liquitex medium.

I distributed the medium using a brayer.  This sample required two coats of medium to stay together.  After more experimentation, I found that plastic film worked better than tulle, because it allowed the medium to stay with the fibres, not leak out.  It made a film which was stiff, but easily stitched.

Above the dried film on plastic.

In my second sample, I used scrap fibres again, but used white merino tops as well.

Here are the scrap fibres laid out .

A layer of merino tops laid over the top.

More threads on top.

Rolling up prior to soaking in dilute soapy water.

Blotting most of the water.

Painting on the medium.  I used a 1:2 dilution of liquitex.

Distributing the medium with the brayer. I have found this to be much more successful than a spoon or fingers.

After taking off the top tulle.  Ready to dry.

The finished piece.  This made a lovely texture, milky because of the merino tops.  It reminded me of the colours in a raw opal.  It was lovely to stitch through and easy to manipulate and the fibres were enmeshed well.



2 comments:

  1. Vicki I am loving all of your technique posts! Wow - so many I was so completely unaware of. They all have me going "I want to try that", but then reality - and lack of time and resources slaps me in the hgead. Still, I'm learning so much and know where to go to find this info in the future! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users