Monday, September 17, 2012

A weekend's work

Oh, and a bit more, since I didn't blog on Friday as I meant.
I have been working on a few little things for our quilt group's christmas stall at the market.
This is where I am at with the pansy table runner I cut out in my last blog.
These are two little purses I made from 'omiyage' by Kumiko Sudo.  The pink and blue one is not finished yet.
This is a little painting I did whilst playing around at art on thursday.  I painted a bronze and gold background and then started spraying a dark purple around the edges.  I sprayed a little too much and it started to run.  Serendipity!  I made it run and dribble a bit more and turned it upside down.  I thought it looked like some trees, so I added a few little branches with a skewer by dragging the purple paint.  All up 5 minutes and it looks really good.
Also on thursday, I was playing with making ink blots in my journal and this butterfly popped out, so I went round it in black and added some lines.
This was some butterflies I did a week or so ago using layered stencils.  I went in and added black ink on the purple one and white out on the green one to define them both a little bit.  Now for a background.
This morning, I played with embossing textiles.
This was a piece of wide silk habotai ribbon, which embossed nicely
This piece of satin turned out spectacularly.
A piece of acrylic felt
A piece of batting
crushed velvet worked extremely well!
This was another piece of batting, and after embossing, I ran some pastel gently over the top to bring out the dimension.
This was the piece of lace I used to emboss all the fabrics.  It is just an 8 inch or so swatch that I picked up from some fabric samples.  I like it a lot, and it is quite stiff as I have also used it as a stencil.
My method was to dampen the fabric with a spray of diluted white glue, then layering the lace over the top, covering all with some baking paper and ironing heavily and as hot as possible.  I had been wanting to have a go at this for some time and am glad I finally did it!  I'm sure I will use this in my collages.

So, all in all it was a pretty productive weekend - now off to do some quilting and collage!










2 comments:

  1. you have been very productive! Your little painting is great - it sure looks like you spent time putting those trees in just the right places - what fun to have it make itself like that for you. I like your embossing experiments - the piece of lace you are starting with is great. How well do you expect the embossing to last? Will is need a real dousing with water to relax it do you suppose? Pefect for art pieces for siure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little purses are very intriguing. I had to look up "omiyage". I can see some beading on them. I really like the pansy table runner so far. And your embossing experiments...how do you manage to come up with the ideas to try those experiments?

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users