Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sketchbook work

Ok, Ok, I took a week off for the holiday, I know. It was very naughty of me.
But I have been working every day.  So much so, that it has taken me over an hour to work out what I need to post and I can see it is likely to take a few days, lol

First, I have a fair bit of sketchbook work.  I do try to sketch every day, or to work on sketches every day and I find that my sketchbook is important to me because
  • it keeps me from getting too rusty with drawing - and this makes it easy when composing new work or designing new work
  • it serves as a repository of visual ideas that I can come back to again and again when I need an idea
  • it also becomes a record of what I am doing as well.  A simple sketch can mean a thousand words - and you know you will forget that idea if you don't record it.
Enough preaching.
This first set of sketches is for a piece that I am currently working on which will be small thread paintings.  Ocean, Mountains, ferns and orchids.  These little sketches provide enough information for me to create my stitching canvases when I get to it.
This sketch and it's associated photo were one of my daily scribblings.  The photo is from the creekside not far from my home.
This is also a daily sketch, but there is no photo, because it is only a few steps from the back door and is so familiar, I could probably draw it in my sleep.

This sketch is a close up of the centre portion of the photo.  It is a perennial sweet pea which grows in our garden.  Another daily exercise.
Also from the garden, a native iris flower.
 The final sketch, of a nautilus, is an example of a memory technique.  After studying a picture for a while, I turn the picture over and set about sketching and at present I allow myself three glances.  Although this gives me sketching practice, it 8is not really about sketching, but about observing.  Perhaps one day I will be able to do it with out looking at the picture after the first observation - but if I get better, then I'll be happy enough.

Mostly, I work in this sketchbook with lead and coloured pencil.  With the exception of a watercolour pencil sketch now and then.  I keep my other media for my artbooks, which I will show sometime later in the week.

Be creative every day

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the memory sketching! Anything that improves my powers of observation has to be good, lol, so I think i need to try it!
    What type of journal do you use, or do you make your own?
    Happy New year!
    cheers, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your sketches are amazing esp the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sketching, I just use paper that can take a bit of water. Cartridge paper from the newsagent usually works. I have a binder machine and tend yo put together A4 books to use for journals and sketching. For my art books I use books from the opp shop

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great discipline to be sketching daily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sketching is wonderful Vicki! Such detail and a keen observation.

    ReplyDelete

Conversation is important to me. I appreciate all my readers, If you comment, I will reply if an address in available and will visit your blog if that is listed. I do not use word captcha, so, cannot allow comments from anonymous users